Seriously Cool Mistake

Hi there!  Its been a bit since I have visited - I've had a few things to post but haven't had a chance to sit down and just get it done.

This card for the Simonsaysstamp We've Got Your Number Challenge was a seriously cool mistake.  I am also entering this card into the MFT Wednesday Sketch Challenge - Sketch 330.


The SSS Challenge is to put a number somewhere into the creation.  This is the first time I have entered this challenge - the style is a "vintage artistic style" which I am not sure I captured, but the I like to test my capabilities with each challenge.

The MFT Sketch Challenge gave us this sketch to emulate:



I started by embossing a piece of Canson XL Watercolor #140 lb paper with a cute Pineapple embossing folder I got on clearance at my local PaperSource store.  I then did my favorite technique  and blended some Distress inks followed by  some water splashes.  Here is where I deviated from the tried and true - I tried to color the pineapples with my Versamark pen.  My idea was to color emboss the pineapples silver....


....And...Nope!  The problem was that the distress ink and water droplets were not dry.  So my silver embossing powder ended up sticking to the strangest places.  I just went with it, and after my heat gun did its job, this is the Seriously Cool Mistake results!  I love mistakes like this.


Next I used my StampPerfect to stamp the sentiment on metallic paper with my Versamark.  I wanted to emboss the sentiment so it would be as "strong" as the background.


I used my My Favorite Things die-namics LLD Little Lowercase Letters for cut out the word "one".  I cut out 3 layers of #110 pound paper to stack and glue with Glossy Accents.  For the top layer, I used the same metallic paper that I used for the sentiment background.


Next, I needed to incorporate the MFT Sketch 330, but did not want to use paper.  I decided to tape off a segment of my chevron stencil.  I also taped it to my workspace as I had one chance to get this right - slipping is not an option!


I used Memento Black Tuxedo ink and a cosmetic sponge to dab the ink on the card.  I really like how the background kept it's texture behind the ink.  


Lastly, I added some foam tape for the circle that hosted the sentiment.  I used Glossy Accents to glue down my letters.  And I added a few sequins to draw the eye to the cool background and away from the central point.

This card is a total different card than I imagined in my mind - don't you just love when you Let Go and the card takes its own path?!  

Have a great Sunday!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lawn Fawnatics and A Blog Named Hero Challenges

SSS Monday Challenge: Make your own Background

Lawn Fawnatics Challenge 20- Fun with Food !